ShowMax: Features, how to use, pricing, login & more
ShowMax is an online streaming platform in Africa that is similar to Netflix. ShowMax is a part of the MultiChoice Group, the owners of DSTV and GOTV.
Showmax can be used on any device with an internet connection. It is accessible on Smart TVs, Media players, Tablets, PCs, smartphones, and even game consoles.
There has been a lot of improvement in the technology sector in the twenty-first century. These improvements have had a positive impact on the entertainment sector, paving way for the existence of the likes of ShowMax and Netflix.
In this article, we will learn many things about ShowMax, its features, subscription packages, supported devices, supported countries, how to use it, frequently asked questions, and lots more. Let’s get started.
How does ShowMax work?
To understand how it works, first know that Showmax is not a TV channel.
ShowMax is a streaming service. It works by providing servers that allow you to watch movies, watch live matches, stream TV programs, watch series documentaries, and many more.
To make use of ShowMax, you have to purchase a subscription package. You also need a device with a stable internet connection.
ShowMax was launched in August 2015, in South Africa. Over the years, this movie streaming platform has expanded its reach to many other countries.
Presently, ShowMax has a large number of users and excellent review ratings. Its close competitors are Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.
ShowMax Supported Country
After ShowMax was launched in South Africa, it expanded its reach to other countries. Below are the African countries where ShowMax is currently supported.
- Burkina Faso.
- Cabo Verde.
- The central African Republic.
- The Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Equatorial Guinea.
- The Gambia.
- Ghana, Guinea.
- Ivory Coast.
- Saint Helena – Ascension and Tristan da Cunha.
- Sao Tome and Principe.
- South Africa.
ShowMax also functions in some countries outside of Africa. This includes:
- The Cayman Islands.
- The Isle of Man.
- The Netherlands.
- New Zealand.
- San Marino.
- Spain, Sweden.
- The United Kingdom.
ShowMax supported devices
Since ShowMax is a popular streaming service, it can be used on most devices. It might be available as a stand-alone app or by using the browser version. Below are the following devices that you can use ShowMax on:
- Android phones (with Android 4.1 or higher).
- iPhones and iPads (with iOS version 9.3 or higher).
- Apple AirPlay.
- DStv Explora. (This is supported only in South Africa, Nigeria and Kenya for now).
- Sony PlayStation 4. (Currently supported only in South Africa).
- Google Cast (This is done by casting from the ShowMax application for Xbox One).
There is no stand-alone app for Laptops and desktop devices yet. Only the browser version of ShowMax can be used on these devices.
Also, some Smart Televisions support ShowMax. Here are some of them:
- Hisense Vidaa Lite 2.0, Vidaa U2 Smart TVs (2016 version and higher. Supported only in Africa for now).
- Any Samsung Smart television from 2012 and higher.
- Any Samsung Tizen Smart Tv from 2015 and higher.
- Apple Television (the 4th generation).
- LG WebOS Smart TVs from 2014 and higher.
ShowMax features – Things you can do on ShowMax
- You can watch movies on ShowMax. These might be series or singular movies.
- You can watch programs from local TV channels. Available channels for each user might vary depending on the country. Nigerian users can watch NTA International, Silverbird TV, AIT and more television channels.
- Watch live sports events on ShowMax. This feature is currently supported in South Africa.
- You can download media on ShowMax. You might prefer watching your movies offline. Each user is allowed to download up to 25 movies at the same time.
- ShowMax allows more than one profile. There are 4 profiles for different age settings, one of which is child-friendly. This can help prevent your children from watching inappropriate content.
- Another feature on the ShowMax app is bandwidth capping. This feature was introduced in 2016. It allows users to select from 3 different quality options. There is an option for the lowest bandwidth that consumes 100MB per hour, a second option at 300MB per hour, a medium capping of 700MB per hour and a fourth option that allows users to turn off this feature. Turning off capping means the content would be displayed at the highest resolution.
- A mobile data plan is also available for ShowMax. This feature is available in African countries. Users can subscribe to a ShowMax data bundle through their Service Provider.
How To Create An Account On ShowMax
- Visit the ShowMax official site.
- Tap on the sign-up button at the top right side of the page. You will be directed to a sign-up page.
- Provide your email address and the desired password.
- Although it is not compulsory, you can also enter your phone number.
- Click on “create new account”.
- Like we have explained earlier, ShowMax is not a free service. You have to purchase a subscription plan before your account is created.
- Select a subscription package and make a payment. After this, your account will be created. You can then start using ShowMax.
How To Login On ShowMax
You can log in on a web browser by following the steps below:
- Visit the ShowMax website.
- Click on the “sign-in” button.
- Enter your email address.
- Input your password and then click on sign in.
You can also log in to ShowMax through its mobile apps. Download it from Google Play Store or iOS Store.
Subscription Packages Available On ShowMax
Below are the pricing plans for ShowMax in various countries, as disclosed on the official ShowMax website.
|Country||Showmax||Showmax Mobile||Showmax Pro||Showmax Pro Mobile|
|Botswana||BWP 96||BWP 36||BWP 216||BWP 108|
|Ghana||GHC 45.99||GHC 16.99||GHC 119.99||GHC 59.99|
|Kenya||KSh 760||KSh 300||KSh 2100||KSh 1050|
|Namibia||N$ 99||N$ 39||N$ 449||N$ 225|
|Nigeria||NGN 2900||NGN 1200||NGN 6300||NGN 3200|
|South Africa||ZAR 99||ZAR 39||ZAR 449||ZAR 225|
|Tanzania||TSh 20,000||TSh 7,800||TSh 46,000||TSh 23,000|
|Uganda||UGX 30,300||UGX 11,499||UGX 67,200||UGX 33,600|
|Zambia||ZMW 192||ZMW 72||ZMW 432||ZMW 216|
|Rest of Africa||USD 7.99||USD 2.99||USD 17.99||USD 8.99|
|Non-African Countries||USD 8.99||USD 4.49||Not available||Not available|
Frequently Asked Questions About ShowMax
How Can I Download ShowMax?
Android users can download the ShowMax app on Google Play Store. iPhone and iPad users can also download on the iOS Store.
To use the ShowMax app on Smart TVs, browse through your Smart TV interface, locate the Smart TV store and launch it. Search for ShowMax and download the application.
How Many Users Can Use A Showmax Account?
Each ShowMax subscription package you purchase can be used on up to 5 different registered devices. However, you can only watch on 2 devices at the same time.
You can also change the registered devices up to 20 times in a year.
Does Showmax Have Multiple Users?
The ShowMax streaming service allows users to create up to 4 different profiles. This feature is more useful when more than one person is using a ShowMax account.
Each profile will have its recommendations and watchlists.
How Do I Add More Profiles On ShowMax?
- To create more profiles on ShowMax, visit the ShowMax site and log in.
- Click on your account name and go to your account.
- Tap on the “Profiles” button and click on “Add Profile“.
How Does ShowMax Free Trial Works?
Whenever you are about to create a new account, you will need to purchase a plan. When paying for the plan, use the cheque or credit card payment option.
Your account will be activated and you will be able to use ShowMax freely for 14 days. After the free trial has expired, your linked credit card will be charged every month.
Only the normal ShowMax plan offers a free trial. There is no free trial for ShowMax Pro.
Kindly note that you can always cancel your ShowMax subscription. There are no penalties when you cancel at any time.
How Can I Cancel My Showmax Subscription?
Even if you stay away from the app for some time, you will still be charged each month. This is because you have linked your credit card to ShowMax.
To avoid charges when you are not using ShowMax, you should cancel your subscription. You can do this by following the steps below:
- Visit the ShowMax site.
- Tap on “my account“.
- Click on “manage my subscription“.
- Click on “Cancel my subscription“.
Don't miss a thing. Follow us on Telegram. If you love videos then also Subscribe to our YouTube Channel. We are on Twitter as MakeMoneyDotNG.