Alat by Wema is a digital bank designed and managed by Wema Bank. In this post, we will guide you on how to create an account on Alat, how to send money, request a free debit card, buy airtime, and lots more.
What is Alat by Wema, and how does it work?
Alat by Wema, commonly known as Alat Bank, is a digital bank powered by the widely known Wema bank. It’s also the first fully digital bank in Nigeria.
Alat being a fully digital bank means that you don’t have to visit a bank branch to use any of its services.
Everything, including account registration, sending of money, obtaining your ATM card, withdrawing money, etc can all be done without visiting Wema bank itself.
Almost everything that is done in a physical bank can be done on the Alat app. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Paying of bills
- Sending of money to Wema bank and other banks
- Obtaining loans
- Saving money with interest
- Creating virtual dollar cards
- Obtaining a credit/debit/ATM card (for free, to be delivered to your doorstep)
And lots more.
Is it safe to use Alat by Wema?
Yes. Alat is created, owned, and managed by the popular Wema bank. You can make use of all Wema banking services without stepping outside your door.
All deposits on Alat by Wema are insured by the Nigerian Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC).
Wema bank is licensed by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to operate and render its digital banking services through the Alat mobile app and the web version.
Also, millions of people have downloaded the Alat mobile app. As of the moment of writing this article, no one has claimed to be defrauded by the app.
Requirements to open an account on Alat by Wema
Before you can create an account on Alat, you have to provide the required documents. They are all basic things that everyone would have.
- A valid phone number
- An email address
- Your Bank Verification Number (BVN)
- Any means of identification. It can be your voter’s card, NIN, international passport or your driver’s license
- A utility bill (you can use your electricity bills)
Note that you won’t be submitting them in a bank branch. You just have to save a picture of these documents on your mobile phone, and upload them during your account registration.
Alat by Wema: Mobile app download
You can use Alat by Wema on the web. Just go to your browser and input this link Online.alat.ng/. If you prefer using a mobile app that can be installed on your phone, you’re free to do that.
How to register an account on Alat by Wema
After downloading the mobile app, the next step is to create your Alat account and start banking from your home.
1. Getting started
- Launch the app
- On the first page, click on get started
2. Create your profile
- Input your phone number
- A verification code will be sent to you as an SMS. Input it
- Provide your email address on the next page. A confirmation code will be sent as well. Input it to proceed
3. Validate your account
- Input your BVN
- On the next page, your phone camera will be activated. Use it to take a clear photo of your face
- Make your signature on a piece of paper and take a photo of it
You can now go to Alat Dashboard to get your Account number.
4. Set up account
- Create a 4-digit transaction PIN
- Provide a means of identification
- Input your residential address
5. Secure your account
- Set a password for your Alat account. Note that this password is just for logging in. You will still have to use your transaction PIN to authorize transactions
- You can set a security question
- If you do, you should also set a security answer
How to deposit money into your Alat account
Funding your Alat account is very easy. Just follow the steps mentioned below.
- From your dashboard, click on “Fund Account”
- You have 3 options. You can fund your account from a Wema bank account, an account from another bank or a foreign card.
However, there is a more convenient way.
- From your dashboard, click on the Copy icon to copy your account number
- Go to a POS outlet, USSD code or another banking app. Here, you’ll be sending money to your Alat account
- Choose “Wema Bank” as the bank name
- The 10-digit number you copied is your account number
- Your name will be shown on the next page. Authorize the transaction and the amount will be credited to your Alat account
How to send money on Alat by Wema
You don’t have to go to a bank before you can transfer money to other bank accounts. You can do it right from your phone.
- From your dashboard, click on “Send Money”
- There are 4 options. Click on “To Bank Account”
- From a drop-down menu, select the name of your bank
- Input the account number of the recipient
- The account name will be automatically generated. Click on “Next”
- On the next page, input the amount you want to send
- You can also input the email address of the recipient and a transaction remark (optional)
- Input your transaction PIN and click on Send Money
Your Alat account will be debited and a receipt will be generated. The beneficiary will receive the money as soon as possible.
How to pay bills on Alat by Wema
Do you know that you can pay your utility bills on Alat by Wema? Yes, you can. Follow the steps below.
- From your dashboard, click on “Bills Payment”
- Click on “Airtime & Data” if that’s what you want to do
- If you want to pay other bills like electricity and tv subscriptions, click on Pay Bills
- On the next page, 11 different bill categories will be shown. Click on whichever one you want to pay for and follow the prompts
How to get your free debit card on the Alat by Wema app
Requesting and obtaining debit cards on Alat is fast, easy, and free.
- Click the Cards tab at the bottom of the homepage
- Click on “Debit cards “
- You’ll be shown 3 design types. Choose the one you like
- Click on “save”. Your debit card will be delivered to your doorstep for free.
- On the next page, input your address. You can also select the nearest Wema bank branch in your town
- Input your transaction PIN and your debit card will be sent to you
- Your debit card will reach you within 2 days
- Only your first debit card is free. Subsequent card requests will cost you ₦1,150
Alat by Wema USSD Code
*945# is the official USSD code for Wema bank. This also applies to Alat by Wema. Launch your dialer app on your phone and input *945#.
From there, you can check your account balance, recharge your airtime, send money and do many other things. You don’t need an internet connection to use Alat USSD code.
Where is the Alat by Wema head office located?
Alat by Wema is a complete digital banking app. Everything, including questions and complaints, can be filed through Alat customer support on the internet.
However, there’s an alternative. You can walk into the Wema bank branch closest to you and lodge your complaint. They will direct you on what to do.
Alat by Wema customer support and email address
For complaints and enquiries, you can reach out to Alat by Wema via their customer care line and email address.
For phone calls: 07000787753, 07002255252
Email address: email@example.com