Interested in a career in Aviation or Travel and Tourism? Then rest assured, as there are over 40 aviation schools in Nigeria that will help you achieve your dreams. Though the majority of the aviation schools in Nigeria are excellent, they are not all made up of the same stuff. Some are better than others, and in this article, I will outline the top 10 aviation schools in Nigeria.
- What is an aviation school?
- Top 10 aviation schools in Nigeria
- 1. The Nigerian College of Aviation Technology (NCAT)
- 2. Universal School of Aviation (USA)
- 3. Dhaewood Aviation Business School (DABS)
- 4. Aeroport College of Aviation and Travel Management
- 5. Crew Training Institute
- 6. International Aviation College
- 7. Landover Aviation Business School
- 8. Lagos Aviation Academy
- 9. Aeroconsult Training Center
- 10. GIB Air Aviation Academy
What is an aviation school?
Before you can become a pilot or work as a cabin crew member, you will have to undergo specialized training. This training is not gotten in the university but in special schools known as aviation schools.
An aviation school or flight school typically refers to a school where aspiring pilots are trained to fly aircraft, but it is often also where other cabin crew members and travel and tourism professionals get their training.
Regardless of the kind of career you are interested in, you should make adequate research before choosing an aviation school.
Recommended: How to become a pilot in Nigeria
Top 10 aviation schools in Nigeria
1. The Nigerian College of Aviation Technology (NCAT)
The Nigerian College of Aviation Technology is located in Zaria, Kaduna State, and is one of the best aviation schools in Nigeria. The school was established in 1964 and currently has a fleet of over 30 aircraft equipped with modern facilities. The Institute offers several aviation courses including pilot training, aircraft maintenance, and air traffic control. The school has affiliations with both the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) and the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).
To be eligible for admission into NCAT, interested candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Candidates must have a minimum of 5 credits in their SSCE including Mathematics, English Language and Physics.
- Score a minimum of 180 points in UTME.
The standard pilot course at NCAT lasts for 2 years and costs around 7-13 million Naira. Other courses last from a few weeks to a few months, and tuition ranges between N80,000 and N2,000,000 depending on the duration of the course.
- Flying School Courses
- Aeronautical Telecommunications Engineering Courses
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering Courses
- Aviation Management Courses
- Air Traffic Services/ Communication Courses
2. Universal School of Aviation (USA)
Approved by both the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) and the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), the Universal School of Aviation gives training in various travel and tourism-related courses and dispenses certifications. Certificates given in the USA are accepted anywhere in the world. The school has campuses in Abuja, Lagos and Benin Republic.
Employment opportunities are given to all students as soon as they graduate, thereby reducing the rate of unemployment rate in Nigeria and building manpower.
- A minimum of an O’level certificate with at least 5 credits is required, but higher qualifications such as OND, HND, B.Sc. etc will be accepted.
- Birth certificate.
- Means of identification, preferably an international passport since it will be required before the end of your course.
Tuition fees at the Universal School of Aviation cost from around 50,000 NGN per course, to around 250,000 NGN per year for degree courses.
- Air Ticketing/Reservation (Atr)
- Basic Flight Dispatcher/Ground Pilot
- Flight Attendant/Cabin Crew
- Advanced Flight Dispatcher/Ground Pilot
- Helicopter Landing Officer (Hlo)
- Aviation And Airport Management
- Customer Service Management
- Travel Agency Management (Tam)
- Hotel And Hospitality Management
- Degree Courses & Other Courses
- Air Ticketing/Reservation (ATR)
3. Dhaewood Aviation Business School (DABS)
Located in Ikeja, Lagos and established in 2005, the Dhaewood Aviation Business School is a private-owned aviation school and a leader in aviation training. The school offers several aviation courses, including short courses, degree courses and piloting courses. It is licensed by the NCAA.
O’level certificate with at least 5 credits including Mathematics and English Language. Though not required, credits in Physics and Geography will give you an added advantage.
A short course lasting a few months costs about 50,000 NGN, while a standard piloting course costs about 7.5 million Naira.
- Air Ticketing
- Air Travel Studies
- Airline Cabin Crew
- Airport Security & Safety
- Aviation Studies
- Airline Call centre
- Aircraft Engineering
- Airline Revenue Management
- Forex trading
- 2D/3D ANIMATION
- Hospitality Management
- Human Resources Management
- IATA Certificate
- Shipping, Imports & Export
- Travel Visa Processing & Management
- Travel & Tourism
4. Aeroport College of Aviation and Travel Management
Located in Oshodi, Lagos, the Aeroport College of Aviation and Travel Management provides courses and training in the airline, airport, travel and tourism industries. The school is accredited by the NCAA, and students are offered job placements after their training. The school offers many courses and training, but they do not offer pilot training.
- A minimum of O’level certificate with at least 5 credits including Mathematics and English Language.
- For some courses including Cabin Crew and Flight Dispatch, a minimum of a National Diploma is required.
Regular programmes last for 3 months, while Master Classes run for 3 days. There are degree courses that last up to 3 years. Tuition fees range from N40,000 to N265,000 depending on the length of the course.
- Professional courses
- Degree courses
- Management courses
5. Crew Training Institute
Located in Ikeja, Lagos, Crew Training Institute is a leading aviation school, that is accredited by the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) as an Authorized Training Organization (ATO). They offer many courses to train cabin crew members, but they do not offer pilot training courses. Job placement opportunities are provided to students through their “THE CABIN CREW CONTEST”.
- A minimum of an O’level certificate.
- At least 18 years old.
- A medical report.
- Good communication skills in the English Language.
- Good swimming skills.
Tuition fees depend on several factors including the type and length of the course you choose. On average, expect to pay around N100,000-N150,000 for your course.
- Flight Dispatcher Training
- Cabin Crew Certification Training
- VIP Cabin Crew Training
- Initial Cabin Crew Training
6. International Aviation College
The International Aviation College is a state-owned aviation college located in Ilorin, Kwara State. It is approved by the NCAA as an ATO. The school is also an authorized Diamond Aircraft and Thielert Centurion Center, with a fleet of Diamond 40 and 42 aircraft.
- O’level certificate with a minimum of 5 credits including Mathematics and English Language. Credits in Physics and Geography will give you an added advantage.
- You have to be at least 17 years old for the Pilot Course, and at least 21 years old for the Flight Dispatcher Course.
- For the Standard Pilot and Flight Dispatcher Course, qualified candidates will have to undergo a qualifying exam.
Tuition fees depend on the course. A standard pilot course costs around 15 million Naira, while courses that last a few months or weeks cost less.
- Private Pilot License Airplane
- Private Pilot License Helicopter
- Commercial Pilot Licence Airplane
- Commercial Pilot License Helicopter
- Flight Dispatcher Course
- Instrument Ratings
- Multi-engine Rating
7. Landover Aviation Business School
Landover Aviation Business School by both NCAA and IATA(International Air Transport Association). The school is undoubtedly one of the best in Nigeria, and three times in a row, it has made it to the IATA top 10 Aviation Training Institute in 2011, 2012, and 2013. The school has also produced IATA Best Performer in Nigeria in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2021. The school is located in Ikeja, Lagos.
- O’level certificate with at least 5 credits.
- Birth certificate.
Tuition fees at LABS depend on the faculty and duration of the course. On average it ranges from N45,000 to N300,000.
- Travel & Tourism
- Technical and Operations
- Aviation Management
8. Lagos Aviation Academy
Located in Mainland Lagos, the Lagos Aviation Academy is both an IATA-Authorized Training Center (ATC) and an NCAA Approved Training Organization (ATO). The school is also the only certified Amadeus Training Partner in Nigeria, and in the year 2022, the school received the award for Best Training School for the Year during the Nigerian Tourism Awards in Lagos.
Tuitions vary from N65,000 to N150,000.
- Cabin Crew Ab-initio Course
- Basic Ticketing And Reservation With Amadeus
- Iata Foundation in Travel & Tourism With Amadeus
- Iata Managing The Travel Business
- Basic Flight Dispatcher
- Advanced Flight Dispatcher
- Travel and Tourism Consultant
- IATA Cargo Handling Course (Introductory)
- Tour Package
- Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road Awareness (ADR)
- Customer Service
- Passenger Ground Services
- BSP Essentials For Travel Agents (e-learning)
- Accounting & Finacial Management For Travel Agencies (e-learning)
- Geography In Travel Planning (e-learning)
- Harvard Managementor For Iata Students & Graduates
- Human Trafficking Awareness (e-learning)
- Overview of the Air Transportation System (e-learning)
- Travel Agency Fees: A Professional Approach (e-learning)
- Dangerous Goods Regulations (DGR) Initial Category 3
9. Aeroconsult Training Center
Aeroconsult Training Center is a leading aviation training centre. It is approved by the NCAA as an ATO. It offers various courses in aviation and cabin crew training, but it does not offer pilot training.
A minimum of an O’level certificate. Any other requirement will depend on the course.
Tuition fees range from N95,000 to N1,000,000 depending on the course and its duration.
- Airline Technical Records & Document Control System
- Arline Management
- Aviation Stores Management
- Helicopter Landing Officers Course
- Aircraft Maintenance Planning & Control
- Aircraft Maintenance Management
- Quality Management System For Airlines
- Airworthiness Course
- Flight Dispatcher/Flight Operations Officer
10. GIB Air Aviation Academy
GIB Air Aviation Academy prospective students with complete Aviation & Maritime Training to prospective candidates. The school is located in Ikotun, Lagos, and is a subsidiary of GIB Air Services.
A minimum of an O’level certificate is required.
Tuition fees start from N50,000 and maybe more depending on your course and the duration.
- Diploma in Airport Operation
- Advanced Diploma Travel Agency Management
- Diploma in Airline Customer Care Service
- Diploma in Passenger Ground Services
- Advanced Diploma Travel & Tourism Management
- Diploma in Air Ticketing & Reservationdiploma In Tourism Management
An aviation career is a glamorous career, highly lucrative and well-paying. To achieve your dream of becoming a flight attendant, a pilot, a flight dispatcher, or any other career in travel and tourism, you will have to attend an aviation school. Luckily, there are many accredited aviation schools in Nigeria that will lead you closer to your dream.