Working remotely is now a commonly accepted part of many industries, particularly technology (Software). It is simply a process where employees are allowed to work from home sometimes, full time or for extended periods, while traveling. In this article we will discus how to find remote jobs.
In my last article, I shared How to become a Software Developer . In this article, we will be looking at how to get a job remotely as a software / web developer.
Being a software developer does not restrict you to working with software firms or organisations locally, you work from the comfort of your home with companies abroad.
In 2015 to late 2017, I have had the opportunity to work with companies in United Kingdom without leaving my home is Agege, Lagos, Nigeria. I was working as a remote frontend developer. We used communications on the web to communicate and git versioning tools to exchange and update our codes. It is more like of working physically with the rest of the team in London, UK. You won’t feel the different
Before we look at the How To’s, let see the tools that make working remotely easier
- Internet: You need a very fast and reliable internet service provider. You can only work remotely with good internet speed.
- Laptop (Computer)
- Communication Tools: Communication tools like Slack and Skype are necessary. This tools helps in keeping in-touch with your employer/team.
- Google Hangout/Google Meet: This tools are essential, you get to communicate visually with these tools. Video calls/conference call and screen sharing are features in Hangout and Google meet.
- Git: Code versioning system. As a developer you should be convinient to use this tool
To work as a software developer you need the following skills
- Backend Developer : NodeJs, PHP(Laravel, Codeigniter)l C# C++ Ruby/Rails
- Data Scientist: Python
Advantages of Working Remotely
Let see some advantages of working remotely
- Spend Less: Working at home means less or no commuting, which means less money spent on transportation. Another way remote workers save money is on their wardrobe. After all, unless you do video conferencing, no one says you can’t wear informal clothes all day.
- Work at your own pace: Most people working remotely can choose how and when to work on projects, as long as they deliver them in by the deadline.
Income for a remote software developer
If you are fortunate to work remotely for companies in the west(USA, UK, EU), you will be earnning as low as $15 per hour. I have seen people who earn $60 per hour. The exchange rate here in Nigeria, India and other countries is a plus for remote developers in those places.
You can go here to see salary ranges of remove software developers
Where Do You Find a Remote Job as a Developer
In this section, I am going to list websites which you can find software development remote jobs.
You will be amazed to see how organisations and recruiters are searching for remote developers.
- Working Nomads
- Zip Recruiters
The above listed websites are full of remote jobs. But remember, you need to be good at what you are applying for. Visit my last post on how to be a good software developer, it is going to help you build the necessary skills needed for the Jobs in the websites listed above.
Working remotely is quite different from your normal 8am – 5 job. It gives you freedom to work from anywhere but you need to manage your time wisely and avoid distraction.
I hope you’ve learnt something great in this article. See you in my next post.
Let us help you
Subscribe to our mailing list and get tips and latest money making opportunities
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.