Originally established as Agbonmagbe Bank in 1945, Wema Bank has been around for decades now. Today, it has over 150 offices, over 3,500 employees, and millions of customers. Wema Bank also powers Alat, the first fully operational digital bank in Nigeria.
In this article, we’ve highlighted everything you need to know about Wema Bank, including its internet banking, mobile banking, USSD banking, current and savings accounts, loans, and many other banking services.
An overview of Wema Bank
- 1945: Established as Agbonmagbe Bank Limited.
- 1969: Acquired by Western Nigeria Marketing Board. The bank was renamed Wema Bank Limited.
- 1987: Converted to a public limited liability company
- 1990: Listed on the Nigerian Stock Exchange.
- 2001: Obtained a universal banking license to offer more financial services.
- 2009: Became a Regional Bank.
- 2015: Became a National Bank, with a capital base of over N43.8billion.
- 2017: Launched ALAT, the first fully digital bank in Nigeria (and one of the best to date).
As of the moment of writing this, Wema Bank PLC has over 150 offices, over 3,500 employees and millions of customers. This banking giant also houses one of the pioneer and leading Fintech products in the country; Alat by Wema.
Wema Bank internet banking
Wema Bank provides internet banking solutions that work 24/7. Alat.ng gives customers full internet and mobile access to their bank accounts.
Registration for Wema internet banking
Kindly visit Alat.ng on a desktop browser. You can also access the page on a smartphone, but you’ll have to set your browser to desktop mode.
Login to Wema internet banking
You can log in to Alat by Wema on the web here. Note that you don’t have to create an account if you already use the mobile app. Just log in with your mobile app details and you’re good to go.
Wema Bank mobile banking: Alat by Wema
Alat by Wema, commonly known as Alat Bank, is a digital bank powered by the widely known Wema bank. It’s also the first fully digital bank in Nigeria. If you’re tired of regular old banks and you want to take control of your money, ALAT is for you.
- No need to visit a bank to open an account
- Schedule transfers and bill payments
- Save easily with automated goal saving
- Free bank card delivery anywhere in Nigeria
- Control your bank card from your phone
- Works with all Nigerian bank cards
- No hidden charges
- A Virtual Dollar Card for online payment
How to download the Alat by Wema app
You can download and install Alat by Wema App from the Google Play Store. It has a small size of 11 MB and over 1 million downloads. It currently has a review rating of 3.8 from over 28,000 users.
If you’re using an iPhone or iPad device, you can download and install Alat by Wema from the Apple App Store.
Wema USSD Banking: *945#
Wema Bank’s official USSD code is *945#. You can access this code from any network, including MTN, Airtel, 9Mobile and GLO. Note that you must use the phone number linked to your bank account.
- Account balance: *945*0#
- Change PIN: *945*00#
- Change primary account: *945*2*oldacctno*newacctno#
- Account opening: *945*1#
- Account Registering on 945: *945*01#
- BVN management: *945*4#
- Account restriction: *945*911#
Airtime, Data, and Transfers Codes
- Airtime (self): *945*amount#
- Airtime (others): *945*phoneNo*amount#
- Airtime/Data: *945*9#
- Transfers: (Wema account and other banks) *945*accountNo*amount#
Quick Loan Code
- Loan: *945*65#
Cable TV Codes
- Cable TV menu: *945*10#
- DSTV: *945*11# and *945*11*smartcardNO #
- GOTV: *945*12# and *945*12*smartcardNO#
- Startimes: *945*13# and *945*13*smartcardNO#
Internet Service Codes
- Internet service menu: *945*15#
- Smile: *945*16#
- Spectranet: *945*18#
Electricity Bill Codes
- Electricity bill: *945*24#
- Eko: *945*25*meterno*amount#
- Ikeja: *945*26*meterno*amount#
- Ibadan: *945*27*meterno*amount#
- Abuja: *945*28*meterno*amount#
- Enugu: *945*29*meterno*amount#
- Jos: *945*30*meterno*amount#
- Kaduna: *945*31*meterno*amount#
- Kano: *945*32*meterno*amount#
- Portharcourt: *945*33*meterno*amount#
Schools and Exams Codes
- WAEC (result checking): *945*70#
- JAMB (result checking): *945*71#
- Lagos state collection: *945*40#
Wema Bank customer care
If you have any complaints or enquiries, you can always contact Wema Bank. They have customer support staff that will attend to you.
Customer care number
- WhatsApp: 09044411010
- 07000 PURPLE (07000787753)
Wema Bank head office address
Wema Bank has a head office in Nigeria where they manage the banking services they offer. You can also visit the head office if you have any complaints or enquiries, wish to open a new bank account physically or obtain a loan.
Wema headquarters is situated at Wema Towers 54, Marina Lagos Island, Lagos, Nigeria.
Wema Bank financial products, services, and account types
Wema has so many financial products and services that we can’t mention all. However, we’ve highlighted a few in this article.
Personal Current Account
Personal Current Account is an ideal current account that claims to cater for customers’ individual basic banking needs. It also comes with a debit card and allows users to issue and lodge cheques.
You can open this account as a single individual, as a joint account or as a registered business.
Salary Current Account
If you need a current account to receive your salary from your employer or a fixed income from someone, then this account may be worth a try. Wema Salary Current Account also grants users access to personal loans and revolving overdraft facilities.
If you want to grow your money in a short time between 30 -180 days or more, then a Fixed Deposit Account is for you.
At the end of the agreed period (tenor), the investment can either be rolled over (re-invested) or liquidated (returned to you) alongside the interest amount earned.
Wema Bank loans
If you’re a salary earner or self-employed customer of Wema Bank, you may be eligible for an instant loan of up to ₦2 million. The repayment term can be up to 3 years.
School Fees Advance
If you find yourself in need of a short-term loan to pay the School Fees of your children, you can speak to a Wema Bank customer agent. You may be eligible for a tuition advance of up to ₦3 million.
Wema Asset Acquisition Scheme
Do you want to purchase an asset but you currently can’t afford it? The Wema Asset Acquisition Scheme (WAAS) can help you acquire it and you’ll pay it back at a later date.
How to apply for Wema Bank loans
Visit this page to see all Wema Bank Consumer loans. You can apply for loans on the web, on the Alat app or by visiting a physical branch.
Wema Bank website
Wema Bank has a website where you can see all information about them on the web and learn more about their services. The website is Wemabank.com.
Wema Bank Swift Code information
A SWIFT code is a set of 8 or 11 digits that represents a bank branch. You’ll need to use one when sending money internationally.
|Bank Name||Wema Bank Plc|
|Bank Address||Marina, 54, Wema Towers, Lagos, Nigeria|
Wema Bank branch locations
Trying to locate the Wema Bank branch(es) in any region? This article has you covered. You can visit this page and indicate your location. You will be shown a list of the Wema Bank offices and ATMs closest to you.